Colorado Adoption Center (CAC) is a non-profit, Christian, child placement agency licensed by the Colorado State Department of Human Services. We opened our Fort Collins office in 1984, and began providing adoption services for infants and children.
CAC facilitates traditional, closed adoptions because we believe that it is healthier for all involved. The birth parents are allowed to secure closure and move forward with their lives while the adoptive family is able to claim the child as if he/she were born to them and the child is allowed to fully bond with his adoptive family. We believe that any other type of adoption is co-parenting, which causes confusion for the child as well as the parents. Attachment to parent is crucial developmental achievement, which leads to identity formation and assimilation of parental standards and values.
We would like the opportunity to educate people regarding the realities of adoption in America as it stands today. Too often, the media distorts the general population’s interpretation of domestic adoption and risks involved. We feel this has led many people to abandon the idea of adoption or go overseas to adopt. In reality, there are healthy babies available. Adoption is a blessed and successful way to grow a family.
- Adoptive Families: Because adoption is sometimes portrayed negatively, many people feel the only way they can have a family, if they are experiencing fertility problems, is through costly and emotionally0exhausting medical procedures. We would like to promote the option of adopting.
- Birth Parents: Many young women are not being supported by their peers or families to choose adoption for their babies. We would like to promote adoption as a positive, life-giving choice and make young woman feel more comfortable and confident with the decision to choose adoption for their child.
- Adoptive Families: We recruit, educate and counsel families wishing to adopt infants and older children of all races for both domestic, international, and trans-racial adoption. After placement, we provide post-placement supervision, counseling and work with the counties and/or states, the families and the courts of Colorado to legalize the adoption.
- Birth Parents: We provide ongoing counseling (before and after the birth) to the birth parents and assist in the legal relinquishment of their child. Through adoption, a birth mother and father can give their child the gifts of financial security and emotionally and spiritually mature parents. When a loving, difficult decision is made, one in which birth parents sacrifice their own desires for the welfare of the child, and event that began as a crises can come to a successful conclusion for all involved. Much work must been done so that adoption can be recognized as a living, life-giving choice. There is no cost for services provided to birth parents.
- Children: As a child placement agency, our first priority is to serve in the best interest of the child. We recruit and prepare homes for newborns and older children. We provide counseling to those children throughout their adjustment for however long is necessary. We carefully screen adoptive applicants to be sure they will provide the child with a living, nurturing, secure and stable home. In the case of trans-racial and special-needs adoptions, we provide ongoing support services to the child and their adoptive parents.
We know there is a need for education and support for the life-giving choice – adoption. We would like to be your link to information regarding adoption and adoption counseling.
- The Colorado Adoption Center Staff